Beef and Okra stew (Bamya)
500g Okra, chop off ends
1 cup vinegar
500g diced beef, cut into 2cm cubes
1 can 400g diced tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 large diced onion
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup beef stock
1/4 tsp. mixed spices pinch cinnamon, pinch clove, pinch nutmeg
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Cut off the cone tips off the Okra, then soak in vinegar for 30 minutes drain and rinse (his is to reduce the slimy texture of okra).
2. In a large pan heat olive oil then add the onion and let it fry for 2 minutes till soft and golden.
3. Add the beef and fry for 4-5 minutes till brown then add the spices and pepper and fry for 1/2 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste and salt.
5. Bring to the boil then put everything in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes till meat is tender.
6. Add the okra and let it cook for 15 minutes till soft, serve with rice