Fear fails to keep people away from site of second bomb
Stepped up security was obvious Monday at the Boston Marathon in response to last year's bombings.
But it didn't seem to bother the hundreds of people who crowded around the finish line in Boston's Back Bay.
"I think the security is doing a great job. They're being real strict, but you have to be when it's an event like this," said Patrick Gamache of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Gamache came into the city for his first marathon.
"I have no concerns about today. I thought today was going to be very safe," Gamache said.
He stood right where the second bomb went off last year, outside the Forum restaurant and bar.
"I feel very secure. They're out in force. They're here to help in any way they can. We feel very safe," said general manager Christopher Loper. "It's exciting. It's the way it should be."
It's a stark contrast from last year's marathon.
"If you think about it, you had two or three minutes before anyone arrived to help. It was all our bus staff, our hostesses, our bartenders doing everything they could to help everyone who was injured. It was pretty amazing to watch that," Loper said.
Former New England Patriots player Joe Andruzzi brought his charity fundraising event back at the Forum, after it was violently interrupted a year ago.
"Never a doubt. We wanted to be back here. They wanted us back. We needed to come back and finish what we started last year," said Andruzzi, who founded a cancer foundation in his name.
Newport's Heather Abbott, who lost part of a leg in the explosion, also returned to the Forum on Monday.