Boston bombing survivor stands tall year later
A Boston Marathon bombing survivor who was near death after the attack stands tall a year later during a visit to Boston.
When John Odom from Redondo Beach, Calif., was taken to the Boston Medical Center on April 15, 2013, he wasn't expected to survive, let alone walk again.
Now Odom is walking, playing golf and even dancing with his wife, Karen. His surgeon, Dr. Jeffrey Kalish, said at a hospital tribute Monday that he is shocked by Odom's recovery.
A new Boston Medical Center Strong flag was raised during the ceremony, and Irish tenor Ronan Tynan sang "God Bless America."
"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the city and the people of Boston for their overwhelming love, their support, their prayers during this last year. We would have never made it without you all. Boston Medical Center, my family is, and forever will be, indebted to you. Thank you very much and God bless you all," Odom said.
Odom, 66, was watching his daughter, Nicole Reis, finish the marathon when he suffered extreme blood loss from a left leg injury. His heart stopped twice after he was taken to the hospital.
Odom said he doesn't dwell on his injury. He said he'll be cheering runners at the finish line this year.