County Cork Irish Stew
8 small lamb chops, thawed
Salt And pepper
1 Tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
Parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme, rosemary
1 pound potatoes (3 to 4 medium)
2 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large white leek, thinly sliced
12 small white onions
1 1/2 cups celery stalks, diced
1 1/2 cups peas
Chopped fresh parsley
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a large pot, enough to hold all chops in a single layer. Season chops with salt and pepper.
2. Brown chops on both sides. Spoon off any melted fat and add enough stock to cover chops.
3. Bring to a boil and add parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and rosemary enclosed in cheesecloth. Lower heat and simmer.
4. Meanwhile, quarter the potatoes. Add potatoes, cabbage, onion, well-rinsed leek, white onions and celery to chops and liquid.
5. Simmer 20 minutes then add peas. If needed, add a little more water during cooking. Simmer 10 more minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve.