Makes 3 dozen
4 cups flour
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
8 tbsp. butter (1 stick)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tbsp. rum (or rose water, if available)
About 1/2 cup sifted flour, for dusting
2 cups oil combined with 4 cups lard or other shortening, for frying
Method of Preparation:
1. Sift the flour together with the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, into a bowl.
2. With two forks, cut the butter into the mixture, until it is evenly distributed and no butter particle is bigger than a coffee bean.
3. Add the slightly beaten eggs and the rum or rose water, and toss the mixture together.
4. Wash your hands in ice water and wipe dry. With cold hands, quickly from the mixture into a ball. No loose particles should remain in the bowl. Do not over mix.
5. Divide the ball in half; wrap each half in plastic, and chill in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Flour a pastry board and roll out one portion of the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick, then cut the dough with a crinkled ravioli cutter into strips 4 inched long and 1/ in wide.
7. Repeat with the remaining portion of dough.
8. Fry the strips of dough in the preheated hot mixture of oil and shortening until golden brown.
9. Remove from the shortening; drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot or