42
      Monday
      58 / 44
      Tuesday
      58 / 50
      Wednesday
      61 / 46

      Family sues Freetown facility over son's death

      The family of a man who died after swallowing a rubber glove at a school for the severely disabled in Freetown has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the facility.

      The suit, filed Monday in Bristol Superior Court, alleges that staff at Crystal Springs failed to keep 21-year-old Grant Pearson safe and did not provide adequate medical care to save his life. Pearson choked to death on the glove in October 2011. He had a disorder in which a person tries to eat inedible items.

      An attorney for Pearson's parents said staff at the school knew he needed constant supervision, yet left him alone.

      The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

      Crystal Springs' president and chief executive, who is named as a defendant, says he hasn't seen the suit and couldn't comment.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER