Fire in Newport leaves seven people homeless
NEWPORT, R.I. —
A fire in an apartment complex in Newport forces seven residents out of their homes Friday night.
According to the Newport Fire Department the fire started in a mattress at the residence on 90 Girard Avenue, and quickly spread to the surrounding area.
No one was injured in the fire and the Red Cross has stepped in to help the seven people, six adults and one child, who were forced out by the flames and resulting smoke and water damage.