Fire destroys historic building in Westerly

Firefighters worked in unseasonably cold temperatures on Friday battling a blaze in Westerly that broke out in a historic building that housed two businesses and eight apartments just before 8:00 PM on Commerce St.

Deputy State Fire Marshall Michael Sweeney tells NBC 10 an unattended candle is to blame for the fire, which burned through the wooden structure for hours.

The historic building was home to Mary D's Antiques and 10 Sandwiches, as well as eight apartments that were located above the businesses. No one in the building was injured in the blaze and according to Westerly Fire Chief John Mackay everyone was already out when fire crews arrived on scene.

Chief Mackay noted that the building is likely a total loss and that the displaced residents are being assisted by the Red Cross.