Cigarette cause of 3-alarm wedding venue fire

Fire crews battle 3-alarm fire at the Foxborough Pavilion on Saturday, April 5, 2014

A fire official said a cigarette tossed onto mulch may have caused a destructive fire at a popular wedding venue in Foxborough.

Deputy Fire Chief Steven Bagley said the fire started at the Lakeview Pavilion at about 7 p.m. Saturday then spread to the building.

Bagley said the building did not have sprinklers and firefighters took water from a nearby pond to fight the blaze.

Crews spent Sunday tearing down what was left of the Lakeview Pavilion.

Lauren Carey was supposed to get married at the establishment on May 17.

"Even looking at it now, I still can't believe that it's real," she told NBC 10. "Your reception hall is gone, now you have to start planning from square one with a month to go, the invitations and stuff is all out."

Carey says she's open to another venue if that's an option.

Lakeville Pavilion owner Natalia Kapourelakos told NBC 10 they'll be setting up an office on site as soon as possible to help their clients get through this.

"I'm heartbroken for them we'll make sure they get the wedding of their dreams, we'll do anything to help them," Kapourelakos said.

She said she is grateful no one was hurt.

The fire department said the staff had gotten the 150 plus people inside the building, out by the time crews arrived.

The fire started just after a couple, their groomsmen and bridesmaids walked down the center aisle.

The building, which was more than 100 years old, did not have a sprinkler system because it was grandfathered in.

"It may or may not have made a big difference in this case. We encourage the installation of sprinklers, they do save lives," said Deputy Chief Steve Bagley.

Carey was taking the whole thing in stride.

"Even if it's a backyard barbeque and we have hot dogs and hamburgers, it's still going to be our wedding, a better story, more memorable," she told NBC 10.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.