I-Team: Brown University's response to rape allegation questioned

A rape allegation at Brown University is raising serious questions about the university's response.

Two Brown University football players are accused of sexually assaulting a young woman on campus. No one has been charged, but the case is under criminal investigation.

The NBC 10 I-Team learned the two suspects remained on campus, and on the football team, for months after the woman came forward.

The young woman from Providence College went to Providence police on Feb. 3 to tell her story.

The alleged victim said she was drugged the week before Thanksgiving at Louie's Tavern near Providence College, saying her "arms and body fell limp."

That's when she told police she was carried to a taxi and driven to a Brown dorm room, where she was sexually assaulted by two football players.

The I-Team confirmed with Providence police that Brown's own police force was aware of the criminal investigation from the early stages.

NBC 10 also learned that multiple search warrants were served by Providence police on Brown's campus in the weeks following the woman's report.

The I-Team used documents and interviews to piece together a timeline of the case.

The alleged victim was granted a temporary restraining order against the two suspects on Feb. 28.

The restraining order was extended March 11 and remained in effect until the end of Brown's spring semester.

The I-Team asked Brown to explain why the two suspects were apparently still on campus, still playing football, and still representing the university months after the alleged victim came forward. The university said Thursday and again Friday that it would have no comment on camera.

Video highlights posted April 22 on Brown's Facebook page show one of the two players in question on the field during the spring football game.

Court documents obtained by the I-Team show Brown "removed both defendants from its campus in the middle of their final examinations" and told them not to come back to campus if the criminal investigation remained open.

Finals week at Brown was May 7-16, more than three months after the young woman first came forward.

The case is now in the hands of the attorney general and possibly a grand jury.