I-Team: DUI suspect charged a year after crash

More than a year after an alleged drunk driving crash that killed a woman, Rhode Island State Police have arrested Brandon Borge on charges in connection with the accident.

The victim's family had contacted the NBC 10 I-Team, to express their frustration that Borge had not been charged.

Authorities say when Borge led Warwick police on a high-speed chase on April 1, 2012, it ended in a fiery crash in Cranston. The impact killed Borge's girlfriend, Barbara Ellis, seated in the passenger seat, and severed both of Borge's legs.

Borge was hospitalized for months, and eventually moved to an apartment in Fall River, just a few miles from the state line.

But somehow, he managed to evade prosecution for more than a year.

"One year after my daughter's death, I think that something should be done," said Russ Casey, Ellis' father.

Casey told NBC 10 that even a year after his daughter was killed, no one seemed interested in catching Borge. Casey said he told the attorney general's office Borge was living in the Fall River area, but no one tried to find him until after NBC 10 started investigating.

"I'm sitting here talking to the I-Team, and nothing has been done," Casey said.

NBC 10 called state police, and less than 24 hours later, troopers found Borge in Fall River and arrested him.

On Thursday, he was brought into Fall River District Court in a wheelchair, wearing a protective mask, where he was arraigned as a fugitive from justice.

Later, Borge was arraigned in Providence Superior Court on DUI death resulting and driving to endanger, death resulting. He entered not guilty pleas to both charges.

Borge was supposed to be arraigned back in December, but he never showed up to court. The judge issued an arrest warrant.

The I-Team found that in the four months since then, he's talked openly about the case online, posting comments including, "I will not go to jail like this, my life is hard enough being burned and a cripple."

But despite the trail of evidence, no one could seem to find him.

"If Mr. Borge falls out of the air, falls into their laps, yes, they will put handcuffs on him," Casey said. "Until that happens, I don't feel anyone is looking for him."

State police told NBC 10 they were never asked to look for Borge, or alerted to the warrant. But troopers say a phone call from the attorney general's office would have been enough to find him months ago.

The attorney general's office issued a statement Thursday that said in part "The bench warrant was entered into the National Crime Information Center database ... available to federal, state and local law enforcement."

Casey said his fight for justice isn't over.

"I'm not going to let it go," he said.