I-Team: Family wants answers on delay

The family of a woman killed in an alleged drunk driving told NBC 10 they want answers, after the suspect was arrested more than a year after the fatal crash.

Brandon Borge lost both his legs in the deadly crash on April 1, 2012, yet somehow evaded prosecution for more than a year.

Less than 24 hours after NBC 10 called Rhode Island State Police, he was located in Fall River and arrested.

NBC 10 started investigating after Russ Casey contacted the I-Team to express his frustration that Borge had not been charged in the year since his daughter, Barbara Ellis, was killed.

"Everybody knows that this is kind of a personal crusade on my end for closure, for my daughter. I'm not going to let it go," Casey said.

Authorities say Borge led Warwick police on a high-speed chase on April 1, 2012 that ended in a fiery crash in Cranston. The impact killed Ellis, seated in the passenger seat, and severed both of Borge's legs. He was hospitalized for months, and eventually moved to an apartment in Fall River.

A bench warrant was issued in December 2012, after Borge was a no-show in Providence Superior Court for a pre-arraignment hearing. The attorney general's office told NBC 10 prosecutors waited to alert state police to the warrant, because Borge was undergoing medical treatment.

But the I-Team learned Borge was out of the hospital and talking about the case on the Internet, months before his arrest.

In one post from Jan. 5, Borge writes "... I will not go to jail like this. My life is hard enough being burned and a cripple." Later that same day, he posted, "I have to live with the fact that Barbara is gone every day and all you people want is my arrest... To see a crippled man in jail, you will have your wish soon enough..."

But despite the posts, Borge wasn't sent to jail.

Instead, a judge released him on $25,000 personal recognizance in Providence Superior Court on Thursday. Earlier, he appeared in Fall River District Court, where he was arraigned as a fugitive from justice and returned to Rhode Island.

Ellis's family was even more upset when they learned the fatal crash wasn't the first time Borge was in trouble with the law.

The I-Team uncovered a lengthy criminal record in Florida, the included two drunken driving charges, a hit-and-run charge, and refusing a chemical breath test.

Borge was already wanted in Florida for a probation violation when he allegedly led Warwick police on the deadly high-speed chase.

"He has a warrant out for his arrest. Immediately the police know about that right after the crash, where my daughter perished," Casey said.