New Bedford Police use Narcan to save first overdose
NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — Police tell NBC 10 on Saturday afternoon at approximately 4:00 p.m., a New Bedford Police Officer was dispatched to the 100 block of Hillman St. regarding a male overdosing.Upon arrival with the New Bedford Fire Dept., the officer observed a 37 year old male resident on the kitchen floor with a syringe near his body. The male was barely breathing and going into convulsions. The officer assembled her Nasal Narcan Kit and with the assistance of the fire department was able to control the victim.
Fire Lieutenant Peter Clark of Engine Company 1 was able to administer the Narcan into the male's nostrils and he immediately came out of his overdosing condition. He was transported to St. Luke's Hospital by ambulance for further evaluation.
According to fire and police, the quick actions and joint teamwork between the two departments, without a doubt, saved this man's life.