Police: Boy who died in Putnam choked on cereal
PUTNAM, Conn. —
State police say a 2 1/2-year-old Putnam boy who died last month appears to have choked on some cereal, after his father's girlfriend locked him and his toddler brother in a bedroom and went to a methadone clinic in Willimantic.
The father's girlfriend, 32-year-old Renee Peterson of Putnam, was arraigned Thursday in Danielson Superior Court on charges including cruelty to persons, risk of injury to a minor and reckless endangerment. An arrest warrant affidavit that was released provided details on what happened to the boy.
The boy's father, 30-year-old David Mahan, was arrested in Douglas, Mass., on Wednesday and is expected to be returned to Connecticut to face the same charges as Peterson.
Petersen was detained on $125,000 bail. Her public defender said she didn't intend to harm the boy.