46 / 27
      57 / 37
      61 / 48

      2 in Cranston dead; high CO detected

      A man and a woman were found dead inside a Cranston home on Wednesdaymorning, police said.

      Police and fire crews were called to 1012 Pontiac Ave. at about 8:30 a.m.for a report of two people who were found unresponsive inside the house.

      A 40-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman were found dead, but policewouldn't comment on how they died. Their names were not released.

      Fire officials said there were high levels of carbon monoxide in the homewhen crews arrived.

      "Initially we went into help these folks, not knowing what we were walkinginto," said Cranston Fire Marshal Stephen MacIntosh.

      Family members told NBC 10 the couple was in the process of moving andstayed at the house because there were still a few possessions inside.

      One family member told NBC 10 that there was no heat or electricity so thecouple used a generator in the basement.

      MacIntosh said generators should always be put outside.

      "They should be set up at minimum 10 feet away from the building. Windowsand doors should be closed so fumes can't go back into the house," he said.

      MacIntosh said a carbon monoxide detector installed inside the house wasn'tworking.

      "Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices for your home are the cheapestform of life insurance you could every buy," he said.

      Police said the state medical examiner's officewill be conducting tests to determine an exact cause of death.