3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1-1/2 Tablespoons butter or stick margarine
1/4 cup minced fresh onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3-1/2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps (about 1 pound)
1/3 cup chopped fresh or 2 tablespoons dried basil
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Method of Preparation:
1. Place gold potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender; drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
2. Cool and peel potatoes; mash.
3. Add reserved cooking liquid, buttermilk, 3/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth.
4. Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, without stirring. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 4 minutes), stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and basil.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Spread one-third of potato mixture in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of the mushroom mixture over potato mixture; repeat layers, ending with potato mixture. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Drizzle with oil.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes.