Body of Providence teen recovered from quarry

Nentor Dahn

Divers on Monday recovered the body of a Providence teenager from a quarry in Milford, Massachusetts, where he disappeared a day earlier while swimming.

A state police dive team, using sonar, found the body of 18-year-old Nentor Dahn at about 10:15 a.m.

Dahn's body was about 70 feet below the surface of the water in an area that had been searched Sunday, but not to that depth.

"As soon as they dropped the sonar in, he was located immediately. It's very murky down there, cold and murky," Milford Police Chief Tom O'Loughlin said.

Dahn went to the quarry on Sunday with four friends to swim. Police said he jumped about 40 feet from a ledge and landed "awkwardly" in the water. He never resurfaced.

Crews resumed their search for him first thing Monday morning, maneuvering up and down rugged terrain around the quarry.

"Once you get into the water, you have the dangers in the water: motor vehicles, ledges, any debris that's gone in there over the years," Milford Fire Chief William Touhey said.

The police chief said the group of friends had parked at a fast food restaurant on the main road and walked quite a ways to get to the quarry.

He said police discourage people from swimming in the quarry, but it's hard for police to control.

"They're just too dangerous. There's no other word for it. They're just too difficult to patrol because they're private property. They're not posted," O'Loughlin said.

Dahn's mother said her son had never gone to the quarry to swim. Now, she's trying to understand what happened.

The family had plans to celebrate his high school graduation in a few weeks. Dahn graduated from the Providence Career and Technical Academy last month.

"Next week on the 19th, we're supposed to have cookout for him. I don't know what happened. I don't know what happened to my Nentor," Dada Dahn said.

The medical examiner in Massachusetts will perform an autopsy on Dahn. The police chief in Milford is calling the teen's death accidental.