For the Compote:
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup either fresh or frozen blueberries
For the Cinnamon Topping;
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the Bites:
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
8 slices of French Bread 3/4" thick cut into 1" ling strips and allow to sit on the counter overnight to dry firm.
3 tbsp. butter
Method of preparation:
- For the sauce. In a small pan, combine the syrup and berries and simmer for 3-4 min and cool.
- For the topping just combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- For the bites, in a bowl, combine the buttermilk, milk, vanilla, eggs and beat until combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat, place a few of the dry bread in the milk mixture for 4-5 min. then add a little butter to the hot pan and brown like a typical French toast.
- Place on a heated platter, sprinkle with the cinnamon topping and drizzle the compote on top, Serve at once.