1/2 pound of butter softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups of sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped nuts ( any variety will do)
2 cups of candied cherries or candied diced fruit
- In a large bowl, cream the soft butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and egg and blend well.
- Mix in the flour and combine well.
- Add the nuts and candied fruit and just fold in.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces and roll into a log shape about 2" round. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight to become firm.
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees.
- Unroll the dough and slice into 1/4" pieces and place on a sprayed cookie sheet. Bake for 13-15 min. Remove from the oven and in 5 min, remove to a cooling rack. The reason is the candied fruit will stick when the cookies cool if left in the sheet pan.
This mixture can eliminate the nuts if there is an allergy and also freezes well for about 1 month.
Enjoy and Merry Christmas.