Sunday Brunch: Mario's Lemon Birthday Bundt Cake
2 sticks of butter softened
3 cups of all-purpose flour sifted
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups of sugar
Lemon zest from 4 lemons minded fine
1 cup buttermilk
For the glaze:
1/2 cup lemon preserves
The juice of the lemons
Method of preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well set aside
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest and using your fingers rub the zest into the sugar.
- Combine the butter and lemon sugar in a bowl and whip it until its fluffy, beat in the eggs one at a time until blended.
- Add the buttermilk and beat well, slowly add the four until well blended.
- Prepare a Bundt pan with melted butter and coat with flour, pour the batter into the pan and bake for approx., 1 hour or until a toothpick when inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool.
- In a sauce pan stir in the lemon jam and lemon juice and heat until slightly thick.
- Carefully unmold the cake and using a pastry brush keep brushing the glaze on the slightly warm cake. Let the cake cool before serving.