Suspect accused in Landmark lockdown faces gun charges

Jose Giles (center) was held on bail.

A Burrillville man who police say prompted a lockdown of Landmark Medical Center in Woonsocket and a police standoff was arraigned Friday on weapons charges.

A Providence District Court judge ordered Jose Giles to have a mental competency evaluation, saying the man is a threat to himself and the public.

Police said Giles held a rifle to his forehead Thursday night and pulled the trigger. They said the only reason he's alive is quick thinking by an officer who knocked the gun from Giles's hand, sending the bullet into the air over his head.

"I would say Lt. Scully actually saved Mr. Giles's life. Mr. Giles was tasered at that point and taken into custody," Police Chief Thomas Carey said.

Giles, 55, allegedly showed up outside the Landmark emergency room at about 7 p.m. with a rifle and threatened to take his own life.

"Certainly, one of our first objectives when we get on scene is containment, and that's exactly what we did when we got there," Carey said.

A police report said Giles had been drinking. Police said he was emotional, talking about a fight with his wife.

After two hours of negotiations, Giles stepped out of his truck to relieve himself, that's when police set off a flashbang grenade, tasered him, and took him into custody.

Giles's bail was set at $25,000. He's due back in court June 3.

This isn't the first time Giles has been accused of causing chaos at Landmark Medical Center.

"He had a similar incident approximately 20 years ago. It was somewhat similar, and we believe that's why he went back to the hospital," Carey said.

Police said Giles walked into the hospital on Sept. 30, 1993, got the attention of a male nurse on staff and pulled out a gun and told the nurse that he wanted to die while pointing the gun to his chest.

According to reports, a team of nurses calmed Giles down by talking to him until police units were able to respond and secure the gun.

Giles pleaded no contest and was sentenced to five years of probation.

"Our goal is always to make sure to keep patients, employees, and visitors - that they're safe," said Rick Charest, CEO of Landmark Medical Center.

Charest said the lockdown procedures in place Thursday night helped to resolve the standoff peacefully.

"I think the Woonsocket Police Department did a great job. It's my understanding that the state police were here as well and ultimately they were able to diffuse the situation in a way that nobody was hurt. And I think if you can do that, that's always a good outcome and my hat is off to them for the job that they did," Charest said.