3 pounds of ground veal
1/2 pound of ground pork
3 well-beaten eggs
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. powdered sage
1 tsp. black pepper
10 tbsp. cracker meal or the same amount of rolled Saltines
4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter dissolved in 2 cups of boiling water
Method of Preparation:
1. Brush the inside of a 3- quart loaf pan with some lard, oil or bacon grease. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. By hand, mix all the spices into the pork.
3. Beat the eggs until they turn frothy and lemon colored.
4. Wet hands, and mix the ground veal thoroughly with the eggs. Work in the pork spice mixture until evenly distributed.
5. Sprinkle the cracker meal or rolled crackers on the meat and work in.
6. Pour in the new- cooled water and butter mixture in small quantities, working it into the meat as it is added.
7. Press the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.?