Victim of Providence home invasion speaks out

Shots were fired at an apartment door during a home invasion in Providence on Wednesday, July 30, 2014.

The victim of a home invasion on Whittier Avenue in Providence told NBC 10 she still can't sleep after what happened early Wednesday morning.

"I was thinking, 'Oh my God, they're going to rape me, they're going to kill me,'" said the woman, who did not want to be identified.

The woman said she heard what sounded like rocks being thrown at her door about 1:30 a.m. When she went to see what was happening, three men said they were Providence police officers.

On Thursday, she showed NBC 10 the bullet holes that pierced her door and bounced onto the kitchen floor and ceiling.

"When I heard the shot, I said in my mind, 'That's not Providence police because they're not going to be shooting like crazy,'" the woman said.

Her three children, ages 6, 9 and 11, were home at the time, and so was her 14-year-old nephew. Her son, 9, and nephew ran from their bedroom through the front door of the second-floor apartment and got help from a police officer down the street, as the three men kicked open the back door.

The woman said one man grabbed her by the hair and pointed a gun at her head, demanding she call her husband and asking for a "stash."

"I say, 'What stash (do) you want me to get you? There's nothing here,'" she said.

Providence police are searching for those three intruders. They are also looking for one assailant who they say broke into a house on nearby Plainfield Street less than 12 hours later, shooting and killing a pit bull and shooting 19-year-old Brian Jerez in the stomach.

"Have we connected the two together? No we haven't, not yet. It's still early," said Maj. David Lapatin of the Providence Police Department.

Lapatin said it appears both houses were targeted, which police say is usually the case with home invasions.

"Known to keep a large sum of money there, maybe drugs. It could be a hundred different reasons," Lapatin said.

Jerez, the victim of the Plainfield Street home invasion, is expected to survive. Police say they found drugs and drug paraphernalia inside his house.

"Most of the time, (a home invasion) involves criminal activity on the other end," Lapatin said, noting that police were not sure whether there was criminal activity on Whittier Avenue but that there appeared to be on Plainfield Street.

That leaves a lot of questions and fears about why this happened for the woman who lives on Whittier Avenue.

"Every time I hear a little noise or sound, you can ask my husband, I jumped out of the bed, went to the kitchen, looked, looked in the kids' room," she said. "I'm still nervous, I'm still scared. My heart keeps beating really fast and I can't sleep."