African Flavors: Pan-roasted chicken with harissa chickpeas
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in, about pounds
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
1/4 cup harissa paste
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Lemon wedges, for serving
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in two batches, cook chicken until browned, about five minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
3. Pour off all but one tablespoons of the drippings from the pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about three minutes, stirring often. Add in tomato paste and stir until it begins to darken, about one minute. Add chickpeas, harissa, and broth; bring to a simmer.
4. Nestle the chicken, skin side up, into the chickpea mixture; transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is done through about 20–25 minutes.
5. When ready to serve, top with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.