Changing the Way RI Eats: Baked Crispy Calamari
Yield: 4 servings
1 pound fresh calamari, rinsed, dried and sliced into ½ inch rings
1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place flour in a small bowl. In a second bowl, beat eggs.
3. In a third bowl, combine cornmeal, both breadcrumbs, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
4. Working in batches, dredge calamari first in flour, second in eggs, and third in breadcrumb mixture. Remember to shake off any excess after each step. Place each piece of breaded calamari onto a baking sheet with some room in between.
5. Bake 15 minutes or until calamari is golden brown and tender.
6. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, chopped parsley, and your favorite marinara sauce.