Chicken Five Ways: Chicken and corn chowder
Yield: 4 servings
4 slices bacon, diced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
12 ounces red potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cups corn kernels (frozen, canned or roasted)
4 cups chicken broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup half and half
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
2. Place chicken, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, and corn into a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
4. As chowder reaches the last 30 minutes of cooking time, use a small bowl and whisk together the half and half and cornstarch. Stir the mixture and butter into chowder.
5. Serve immediately. Top with bacon and chives.
6. Be sure to remove bay leaf from chowder.