Corn Week: Coconut, Shrimp, and Corn Chowder
Coconut, Shrimp, and Corn Chowder
Recipe by: Chef Frank Terranova, M.C.F.E., C.E.C.
Yield: 4 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes (peeled, if desired), cut into a½ -inch dice
3 cups corn (from 6 ears fresh or 16 ounces frozen)
1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about three minutes.
2. Add the garlic, potatoes, and corn and cook for one minute.
3. Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, cumin, coriander, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Add the shrimp and simmer until pink and cooked through, about three minutes. Ladle the soup into individual bowls.