Corn Week: Corn and Cheese Custard
Corn and Cheese Custard
Recipe by: Chef Frank Terranova, M.C.F.E., C.E.C.
Yield: 6 servings
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 3/4 cup grated smoked Gouda
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
3 egg yolks
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Butter a 10 1/2 -inch-by 7-inch baking dish; set aside.
3. Heat cream and milk over medium heat until simmering. Reduce heat to low and stir in 1 ½ cups cheese until melted.
4. Add bread crumbs. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
5. Whisk in egg yolks, 3/4 cup corn, salt, and pepper.
6. Pour custard into prepared dish and top with remaining 1/4 cup corn and 1/4 cup cheese.
7. Place dish in a large roasting pan, pour one-inch of hot water into pan, and bake until custard sets, about an hour and 15 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes and serve.