Earth Week: Linguine with Swiss chard and garlic
Yield: 4 servings
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
3/4 pound linguine
4 large garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
1 large bunch Swiss chard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of water
Method of Preparation:
1. In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add bread crumbs. Cook, stirring constantly until golden brown, about two minutes. Scrape into a small bowl and stir in Parmesan cheese.
2. Cook linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. While pasta cooks, wipe out skillet. Add remaining oil to skillet and heat over medium heat.
4. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is golden but not brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in Swiss chard, salt and 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally until Swiss chard is tender, about eight minutes. Add additional water if chard becomes dry.
5. Drain linguine. Return to pot, add Swiss chard, and toss to combine.
6. Serve sprinkled with crumbs.