Foods from the Dominican Republic: Flan (Creme caramel)
Yield: 6 servings
For the caramel
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
For the flan
4 egg yolks
1 1/3 cups evaporated milk
1 1/3 cups sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. To prepare the caramel, add the sugar and water to a heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring until a thick, dark caramel syrup forms.
3. Pour caramel carefully into a 10-inch baking pan and spread evenly, allowing it to cool down until it hardens.
4. To prepare the flan, place the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk into a large bowl and stir. Add the vanilla and continue stirring. Strain the mixture to remove any undissolved egg parts. Pour slowly over the caramel.
5. Bake in a hot water bath for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
6. Cool down to room temperature. Loosen edges of flan and place a serving plate on top of the mold (one which will retain the syrup) and invert.
7. Chill before serving.