Healthy Tips for Diabetics: Cinnamon coffee cake
Yield: 16 servings
For the Cake:
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter substitute
1/3 cup brown sugar substitute
1 cup low fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Filling:
3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons sugar substitute
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the topping:
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a round or square 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
2. For the cake: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat butter substitute and sugar substitute together until fluffy. Beat in yogurt, egg and vanilla until incorporated. Add one-third of flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until just incorporated. Then add remaining flour mixture and mix again until just incorporate. Set aside.
4. For the filling: In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Set aside.
5. For the topping: In a small bowl, mix oats and sugar together. Set aside.
6. Pour the cake batter into the bottom of the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the cream cheese mixture and spread evenly to cover the cake batter. Sprinkle the top of the cake evenly with the oats and sugar and bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm.