Healthy Tips for Diabetics: Savory pancakes
Yield: 10-12 individual 4-inch diameter pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Sugar-free maple syrup (optional)
Method of Preparation:
1. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and wheat germ in a medium bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
2. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, applesauce, and vegetable oil ingredients. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
4. For each pancake, pour ¼ cup batter onto hot griddle.
5. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges are firm; turn pancakes, and cook other side until golden brown.