Healthy Tips for Diabetics: Steak with cauliflower mashed potatoes
4 (4 ¬oz.) boneless beef top sirloin steaks (about 1-inch thick)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups reduced¬ sodium beef broth
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 cups cauliflower florets
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. Sprinkle steaks with salt. On a gas or charcoal grill, over medium heat, grill steaks on the t to desired doneness, turning once halfway through. Allow 10-12 minutes for medium-rare (145 degrees).
2. Meanwhile, for mushroom gravy, lightly coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add ¼ cup of broth and garlic. Heat broth just until simmering, then add mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes. Stir cornstarch into remaining 1 cup of broth. Add to mushroom mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
3. In a large stockpot, cook potatoes, cauliflower, and onion in boiling water for 25 minutes, or until very tender. Drain. Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl.
4. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until nearly smooth. Beat in butter, salt, and pepper.
5. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve over mashed potatoes and top with gravy.