One Vegetable Five Ways: Stuffed portabella mushrooms
Yield: 4 servings
4 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped and drained (reserve oil)
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon oil from sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
3 tablespoons Italian-style breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat broiler or grill.
2. Drain the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes into a bowl.
3. Using a pastry brush, coat outside of mushrooms caps with one teaspoon oil. Broil or grill over medium heat, coated side up, for five minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and remaining one tablespoon oil.
5. Turn mushroom caps over and fill centers evenly with shallot mixture. Broil two minutes or grill seven minutes, until mushrooms are tender and filling is hot. Season with freshly ground black pepper.