Plenty of Potatoes: Cheddar and chive smashed potatoes with crispy topping
Yield: 6 servings
2 pounds small Yukon potatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh chives, snipped
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
3 tablespoons olive oil
Method of Preparation
1. Add potatoes to a 4-quart stockpot and cover with water by 1 inch. Add salt, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook potatoes, partially covered, 30 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook one minute or until golden. Stir in milk, cook one minute. Remove from heat; set aside.
3. Drain potatoes. Return to pot. Add milk mixture, salt and pepper. With potato masher, mash until smooth. Stir in Cheddar, sour cream, and chives.
4. In a small bowl, toss breadcrumbs, Romano cheese and olive oil to combine
5. Sprinkle potatoes with crumb topping and lightly brown under the broiled section of the oven.