Run for the Roses: Fried chicken biscuits with honey
Yield: 8 servings
2 half pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
8 large biscuits, preferably warm
Honey, for drizzling
Sliced pickles, for serving (optional)
Method of Preparation
1. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally (also known as butterflying), then cut each piece in half crosswise (you should now have 8 pieces). Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Whisk flour, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne together in a pie plate or large, shallow dish. In a medium bowl, add buttermilk and season with salt and pepper.
3. Dredge chicken: Pick up a piece of chicken, lightly dredge in the flour mixture until coated all over, and place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken is coated. Next, dip one piece of floured chicken into the buttermilk, let the excess drip off, dredge again in the flour mixture, and place back on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken is dredged.
4. Heat oil in large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Meanwhile, fit a wire rack over a baking sheet. If you don't have a wire rack, line a baking sheet with paper towels.
5. When oil is ready, add 4 pieces of chicken and fry until cooked through and golden-brown, about two minutes per side. Remove to the wire rack and season with salt. Repeat frying with the remaining chicken.
6. Split biscuits and place a piece of chicken on the cut side of each bottom biscuit. Drizzle with honey, top with pickles if desired, and close each sandwich with a biscuit top. Serve immediately