Seafood Week: Lobster sliders
Yield: 5 servings
For the biscuits
3 1/2 cups white flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 pound of butter, very cold, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons melted butter to brush on biscuits
Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
For the slider seasoning
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
For the sliders
5 buttermilk biscuits
1 head green leaf lettuce
1 pound fresh, cooked lobster meat (about four, 1 pound lobsters); cooled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
Mayonnaise, to taste
1 teaspoon slider seasoning
Method of Preparation:
1. For the biscuits, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a food processor and pulse until mixed thoroughly.
3. Add the cubed butter and pulse 12-15 times. (At this point the size of the butter chunks should be about the size of split peas.)
4. Pour flour-butter mixture into a large mixing bowl and create a hole in the middle of the flour. Pour in buttermilk and milk.
5. Slowly fold the mixture into the liquid. Continue until all the milk is incorporated into the flour and the dough is slightly tacky. Knead the dough 10 times and let sit uncovered for 10 minutes.
6. Roll out the dough to a half-inch thickness and cut out biscuits. You may reuse the leftover dough to roll out again and make more biscuits.
7. Placed on greased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle coarse salt and pepper on top of biscuits. Bake for four to five minutes, until golden brown.
8. For slider seasoning, mix all ingredients until spice mixture is uniform.
9. For the sliders, slice the biscuits in half and spread butter across the inside of the biscuits. Place face down on a heated griddle or cast iron fry pan and toast until golden brown – about two to three minutes.
10. While the biscuits are being grilled, mix the lobster meat with enough mayonnaise to lightly coat every piece of lobster. Mix in about 1 teaspoon of the lobster slider seasoning mix or to taste.
11. When the biscuits are done, place a piece of green leaf lettuce on the bottom half of each biscuits so that the lettuce overlaps the biscuit slightly. Top with the lobster salad mixture and then the top half of the biscuit. Serve immediately.