Seafood Week: Pan-seared Moroccan-style tuna
Yield: 4 servings
4 tuna steaks (3/4 to 1-inch thick, about 6-ounces each)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground anise seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, melted, or olive oil
4 tablespoons ground fresh coriander
Method of Preparation:
1. Rinse the tuna steaks and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a small bowl, combine paprika, cumin, turmeric, anise, ginger, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
3. Lightly rub both sides of the tuna steaks with olive oil. Rub the seasoning mix on both sides of tuna steaks; coating them well.
4. Using a heavy bottomed sauté pan or a cast-iron pan, warm the remaining olive oil. Increase the heat to high and place the tuna in the pan.
5. Sear for one minute, then turn over carefully, reducing the heat to medium. Sear the other side for one additional minute until medium rare. (Do not overcook the tuna or the meat will become dry and lose its flavor).
6. Pour the melted butter or olive oil over the tuna steaks right after you take them from the oven; then sprinkle with coriander. Serve immediately.