Spring Ahead: Ahi tuna with green tea soy broth
Yield: 4 servings
2 green tea bags
3 cups hot water
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup pineapple, chopped
1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 4-ounce ahi tuna fillets
2 cups cooked brown rice
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat grill.
2. Brew the green tea in hot water for 4-6 minutes. In a large saucepan, combine tea, ginger juice, soy sauce and pineapple to create a broth.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil to medium heat. Add leeks or scallions and sauté briefly.
4. Brush each tuna fillet with a one teaspoon of olive oil and grill 3-5 minutes on each side. Keep warm.
5. In a medium sauce pot, reheat broth to a simmer. Pour 3/4 cup of broth in a 12-ounce bowl. Add a half cup of cooked brown rice.
6. Top with grilled ahi tuna fillet and 3/4 cup of sautéed scallions
Chef’s note: Tuna does not have to be cooked all the way through. In fact, it is traditionally served rare with a thin layer around the outside that is cooked.