Spring Ahead: Chicken panzanella
Yield: 4 servings
For the dressing
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoons black pepper
For the chicken
4 4-oz chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless
1 cup grape tomatoes
3/4 cup cucumbers, peeled, diced
1 small red onion, minced
2 tablespoons Kalamata olives, chopped
2 tablespoons capers
1/2 cup red bell peppers, diced
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
4 slices Italian bread
4 tablespoons Olive oil
Method of Preparation:
1. For the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Preheat grill.
3. For the chicken: Grill chicken breast for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Allow to cool and dice.
4. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olives, capers, peppers and basil. Add diced chicken and toss with dressing.
5. Brush slices of Italian bread with one tablespoon of olive oil, half on each side. Grill bread slices until browned.
6. Dice slices of bread and toss in with vegetable and chicken mixture.
7. Divide salad into four servings and serve in bowls.
Chef’s note: Any type of bread will work for this recipe. Be sure the slices of bread are approximately 1-inch thick.