Sunday Brunch: Bacon Caramel Popcorn
Black Pepper Caramel Popcorn
10 pieces thick cut bacon
2 tbsp. course ground black pepper
8 cups of popcorn
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1. Lay plastic wrap on a flat surface and lay the bacon on it in a single row, sprinkle 1 tbsp. of pepper on one side then place another piece of plastic paper on top and flip it over and do the same with the plastic wrap.
2. Place the bacon on a large sheet pan and bake it in a 375 degree oven until very crisp. Drain on paper towels the chop into course pieces.
3. In a separate large pot, add butter and melt on medium-high heat. Stir in brown sugar and corn syrup, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and continue to cook mixture for 5 minutes, or 4.
4. Remove caramel from heat, and add baking soda, salt and black pepper, stirring to combine. Lastly, add the bacon.
5. Pour caramel over popcorn, and toss to coat. Divide popcorn between two baking trays, and spread out into one even layer. Bake for 1 hour, stirring the popcorn mixture every 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and transfer to parchment paper to cool. Break into pieces and enjoy!