Super Foods: Kale pesto quinoa
Yield: 6 servings
2-3 cups cooked quinoa
1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, grated
2 tablespoons Romano cheese, grated
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon vinegar
Method of Preparation:
1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions. When cooked, drain and set aside in a large bowl.
2. For the kale pesto: Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add kale and blanch for 2-3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer kale to a bowl of ice water to shock and stop further cooking. Remove and pat dry.
3. In a food processor, combine the kale, garlic, walnuts, lemon juice, cheeses, olive oil and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoing if needed.
4. Add the pest to the quinoa and gently blend.
5. Prepare poached eggs: Bring small saucepan of water with vinegar to a boil.
6. Turn heat down to a light simmer. Crack egg into a small bowl. Using a wooden spoon, create a vortex in the water. Gently pour the egg into center of vortex.
7. Cook about four minutes. Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove egg from water. Repeat with remaining eggs.
8. Serve kale pesto quinoa and top with poached egg.