Super Foods: Sweet potato and apple souffle
Yield: 8 servings
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large red apple, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk, plus 4 large egg whites
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg. Use half of the spice mixture to toss with sweet potatoes and spread out onto the baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Add apples, toss, and cook another 20 minutes. Both potatoes and apples should be tender. Let cool completely, about 15 minutes.
3. Lower oven to 300 degrees.
4. In a blender, puree sweet potato, apple, the rest of the spice mixture, along with the lemon zest, and two tablespoons of sugar. If needed, add ¼ cup of water to achieve smooth consistency.
5. Sir in egg yolk and flour until combined.
6. Using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, on high speed, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining two tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
7. Fold one-third of egg white mixture into sweet potato mixture. Then, fold in the remaining portion of the egg white mixture, making sure to not overmix.
8. Place greased ramekins on a baking sheet. Divide puree evenly among dishes. Bake until soufflé has doubled in volume and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.