We're Getting Stuffed: Vegetable stuffed cannelloni
Yield: 4 servings
8 cannelloni noodles
5 cloves garlic, minced
5 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup dry sherry
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 onion, chopped
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1 zucchini, chopped
1 small eggplant, diced
2 roasted red bell peppers, diced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Method of Preparation
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• In a large pot of salted water, parboil cannelloni. (Parboiling is partially cooking the noodles in boiling water; they will finish cooking when baked).
• Meanwhile, cook two cloves garlic and two shallots in one tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Pour in sherry, raise heat to high, and reduce liquid by half. Stir in cream, and reduce until there is about 1 1/2 cups liquid.
• Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set cream sauce aside.
• In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion, three shallots, three cloves garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, and eggplant in olive oil until all vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in red peppers, basil, oregano, ricotta, and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set filling aside.
• Lightly grease one 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stuff vegetable/cheese filling into cannelloni. Place in prepared baking dish, and cover with cream sauce.
• Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
• Remove and serve warm or at room temperature.