What's My Class Cooking? Thai red curry
Yield: 10 servings
For the curry paste
1 cup red chili peppers
1 cup lemongrass stalks, tough outer layers removed, chopped
1/4 cup galangal, peeled and roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups garlic cloves, peeled
3/4 cup cilantro, stems and leaves
1 1/2 cups shallots, peeled
1/2 tablespoon shrimp paste
3/4 cup lime leaves
1 1/2 cans coconut milk
1 quart chicken stock
For the fruit, vegetables and shrimp
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into planks
1 red bell pepper, roasted and macedoine
1 green bell pepper, roasted and macedoine
30 (21/25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
White rice, as needed
Method of Preparation
1. To make the curry paste: combine red chili peppers, lemongrass, galangal, garlic, cilantro, shallots, shrimp paste and half-cup lime leaves in a food processor and puree until achieving smooth curry paste. Set aside.
2. In a medium stockpot, combine coconut milk, chicken stock and one cup of the curry paste. Whisk to combine, until mixture reaches 175 degrees. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
3. Strain the mixture through a chinois, season to taste, and until ready to serve.
4. For the rest of the ingredients: On a grill or in a grill pan, cook the pineapple evenly on both sides until grill marks appear. Allow to cool and cut into large, dice-like pieces, known as carré cut. Or, cut into three-quarter inch dice.
5. Roast red and green bell peppers, peel and cut macedoine. Mix pineapple and roasted peppers and hold in an ice bath.
6. When ready to serve, in a small stockpot, combine three shrimp with two tablespoons of pineapple/pepper mix and a half cup of the curry paste.
7. Poach shrimp for 2-3 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Repeat process with remaining shrimp.
8. To serve, mold white rice in the center of a large bowl, ladle the cooked shrimp and pineapple mixture around the rice, trying to preserve the white color of the rice. Pour one-third cup of paste over the shrimp and pineapple.
9. Garnish dish with a finely julienned lime leaf.