RI Attorney General joins multi-state investigation into Equifax breach
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Kilmartin announced Wednesday that he's joining several other states that are investigating what led to a massive data breach at Equifax.
The sensitive information of 143 million Americans, including social security numbers, birthdays and credit card numbers, was exposed when the credit monitoring giant was hacked in late July.
As the investigation gets underway, Kilmartin’s office says consumers should:
- Be leery of emails, calls and text messages asking to confirm personal or financial information
- Never give out sensitive information
- Check your financial accounts daily for suspicious activity
- Equifax also announced today its waiving credit locking fees through Nov. 21
- Locking your credit is the most effective way to prevent identity theft
To lock your credit report, click here.