47 / 31
      47 / 43
      54 / 38

      I-Team: Brown football players off team

      Two Brown University football players under investigation by Providence police for sexual assault are no longer on the team, the NBC 10 I-Team confirmed Wednesday.

      The move comes with the investigation in the hands of the Rhode Island Attorney General's Office, and an ongoing Federal investigation into possible Title IX violations at Brown involving sexual violence.

      The I-Team found the two men's names had appeared on Brown's football website until a few days ago, but were removed from the team's online roster as of Wednesday.

      A Brown spokeswoman wouldn't comment on the individual students, but confirmed the roster listed on the football team's website was accurate.

      Attorneys for the two men told NBC 10 they were angered by the move.

      "They haven't been charged with a crime. They haven't been arrested, and yet Brown is kicking them off the football team," said John Grasso, who represents one of the players.

      "I would hope Brown would not bow to outside political pressures and would allow students their due process," said Artin Coloian, who represents the other player.

      Court documents the I-Team obtained showed the two players were removed from Brown's campus during finals week, three months after the alleged victim went to Providence Police to report she had been sexually assaulted.

      But both men remained on campus until May, and were apparently on the football team until this week.

      The 19 year-old woman, a Providence College student, told detectives she was drugged during a night out with friends at a local bar back in November. The woman told police she was carried out of the bar and placed in a taxi, and later raped inside a Brown dorm room.

      In February, she obtained restraining orders against the two football players. That led to a lawsuit from one of the men. The player says the woman made "false and defamatory statements" by filing for the restraining order and asked the court for punitive damages.

      The restraining orders were later dropped.

      NBC 10 does not identify victims or alleged victims of sexual assault, and the I-Team has not named the players because they have not been charged with a crime.