MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Fire leaves Coventry home a complete loss

Coventry police said three people escaped a fire at a mobile home early Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017. (WJAR)

Coventry police said three people escaped a fire at a mobile home early Sunday morning.

The fire broke out just before 3 a.m. at 19 Cantaberry Lane

"I could see flames going off the living room, and I could hear the man on the other side saying, ‘Help! Help!'"said Marsha LaFleur, who lives across the street and called the fire department.

She told NBC 10 News that she heard the fire alarm coming from her neighbor's home so she and her husband Bruce ran over to the house.

The couple who lives there had their 12-year-old granddaughter staying over.

The LaFleurs said the girl was out of the house, as was her grandfather. Her grandmother was half-way out, lying in the doorway.

"I picked her up as well as I could and dragged her down the stairs out to make sure she was safe by the street," said Bruce LaFleur.

"Embers and flames were dropping down on her pants so I'm trying to put them out so it wouldn't catch anymore on fire," said Marsha LaFleur.

In a press release, Coventry police said all three made it out of the home without serious injury and were taken to the hospital to be treated.

State fire marshal investigator Michael Sweeney told NBC 10 that the grandparents were admitted to the hospital for smoke inhalation and that their granddaughter was treated at Hasbro Children’s Hospital and released.

The cause of the fire was deemed accidental, caused by careless disposal of smoking material, and Sweeney said the home is considered a total loss.

"The granddaughter says ‘there's oxygen in the house’ so I was worried about that blowing, so we got out of there as fast as we could," said Marsha LaFleur.

Reflecting on their decision to come to their neighbors’ aid, the LaFleurs said they never thought twice about it.

"The adrenaline flows. You do anything for your neighbor," said Bruce LaFleur.

"You do what you have to do. I couldn’t live with myself if I found out they burned in there," said Marsha LaFleur.

Trending