MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Fire officials: Use generators properly to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning

1280x720_70906P00-JDWOI.png

Following two storms in less than a week that left thousands of Southern New Englanders without power, the Uxbridge Fire Department is warning the public not to run generators in garages -- or too close to their homes -- due to the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We have been to 3 carbon monoxide calls today, one home with a generator running in the garage and another with the generator exhaust blowing under the house,” the department posted on social media Thursday. “If you are out of power and need to run a generator, DO NOT run it in or near the house or garage, bad things happen.”

The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention reported that is an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death.

“You will just think you are sleepy and not realize you are being poisoned,” the department noted. “Fortunately, no residents required medical care.”

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending