MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

At least 3 children, 2 adults rushed to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning

Five people, including at least three children and two adults, were taken to the hospital Wednesday after authorities received a report of unresponsive victims at a Smithfield home.

Chief Robert Seltzer of the Smithfield Fire Department told NBC 10 News the family was overcome by carbon monoxide.

“We’re going to conduct an investigation to determine exactly what went wrong,” Seltzer said, adding that it appears there was a malfunction with the heating system in the home, which is owned by the Greenville Library.

The chief also said the children’s father was in the garage and came inside to find his wife and their three children unconscious. He called 911 around 8:30 p.m., authorities said.

The children – whose ages are 7, 9 and 11 -- were transported to Hasbro Children’s Hospital, while their parents were sent to Fatima Hospital. Their father was sent as a precaution.

One child has since regained consciousness, authorities said. The condition of the others, including their mother, is unknown.

A witness told NBC 10 News he saw first responders performing CPR on multiple people outside a house on Pleasant View Avenue around 8:45 p.m.

“When I came out, I saw one of the little girls was in the ambulance already. It looked like they were trying to revive somebody out front. They were working on them,” Ed Pearlman, a neighbor, said. “I saw the fire guys come in and grab a bunch of equipment…There was a lot of commotion, a lot of running around with the fire and ambulance guys trying to revive the family.”

NBC 10 arrived at the scene just before 9 p.m. to find at least three rescues surrounding the home.

A short time later, Seltzer said firefighters took carbon monoxide readings in the house of more than 400 parts per million, noting that anything over 30 can cause problems.

It’s unclear whether the home had working carbon monoxide detectors.

Authorities remained at the scene as of 11:15 p.m.

Stay with NBC 10 News and turnto10.com for continuing coverage. Refresh this page for updates.

Trending